Join us this summer for an exciting and interesting learning experience! All high school chemistry and biology teachers are welcome to apply. Four teachers will be selected as CHIP Teacher Fellows to attend both weeks of CHIP and receive room & board (if needed) and one hour of graduate credit at no cost. (Teacher Fellows will select chemistry or biochemistry as an area of program focus prior to attending CHIP.) Pre-service teachers and those not chosen as CHIP Teacher Fellows are welcome to attend the first week of CHIP with the option of paying for one hour of graduate credit and the cost of room & board, if necessary.
During the first week, teachers will:
- Work with MU researchers to complete four two-hour chemistry labs and four two-hour biochemistry labs
- Enhance or refresh knowledge of chemistry or biochemistry
- Learn to use laboratory technology effectively to enhance student learning
- Collaborate with other CHIP teacher participants designing strategies to engage students with laboratory technology
- Plan to implement strategies developed through CHIP into their classrooms
- Share knowledge gained with other teachers at professional conferences during the school year
- Earn one hour of graduate credit
During the second week, CHIP Teacher Fellows will:
- Engage CHIP Student Scholars with laboratories in chemistry or biochemistry
- Implement, evaluate, and refine strategies to teach laboratory technology
- Evaluate student learning as well as their own learning
CHIP is funded through grants from the National Science Foundation.